Thursday, January 15, 2015

Projections

The other day at work I had this amusing encounter.

Two customers (a man and a woman) that I've met on and off came to the store together. As far as I know, they're not a couple, but who knows? The woman is more or less my age, maybe slightly older (i.e. nearing 40) and from the bits of chit-chats we've had, I don't think she has children. I don't know anything much about the man, but he's quite new in town.

The woman then asked me if Santa came to our place and I was feeling cheeky at the moment, so without thinking twice, I put on a wicked grin on my face and replied, "Yes, but it's a secreeetttt!"

Both the man and the woman went "OooooohHHHHHH!" when they heard that and the woman added, "Is this the kind of secret that will be revealed in 9 months?"

In a split second lots of thoughts were whizzing through my mind. WHAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?! Where did that come from? Mental forehead slap! Of course! D'oh! I shouldn't have said it like that!

I immediately corrected her, "No, no, no, no, NOOOOOOOOO!"

Then the man said, "Maybe she's got a Ferrari."

I smiled and said, "Yes, a flying Ferrari!" 

After the exchange, I couldn't help feeling amused with the fact that the woman immediately thought it was pregnancy, whereas the man thought it was a Ferrari.


6 comments:

  1. My first thought is, who thinks these things? Who thinks the only reason Santa would visit a adult couple is to bring a baby? Love that the husband thought it was a Ferrari. LOL For us, it was a simple as full stockings and simple, thoughtful gifts and the spirit of the season. <3 Santa always visits the good girls and boys regardless as to their age :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the man is the husband, though. And in part it was my fault because I said "the secret" in such a way, I guess.

      Delete
  2. Your last line really made me laugh! That's so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HE HE HE HE HE...Yeah, though I don't think I'd try something like this again ha ha...

      Delete
    2. LOL, I thought that was kind of funny too. Although why do people always assume it's pregnancy?? :p

      Delete
    3. I don't know, Loribeth. Probably because they think that kind of secret is THE secret for women?

      Delete

THANKS for dropping by and for leaving a comment. :-) I truly appreciate it. :-)